Saint-Sulpice (French pronunciation: [sɛ̃sylpis]) is a famous Parisian church on the east side of the Place Saint-Sulpice, in the Luxembourg Quarter of the VIe arrondissement. At 113 meters long, 58 meters in width and 34 meters tall, it is only slightly smaller than Notre-Dame and thus the second largest church in Paris. It is dedicated to Sulpitius the Pious. During the 1700s, an elaborate gnomon was constructed in the church
The church has a long-standing tradition of talented organists that dates back to the eighteenth century
In 1862, the current pipe organ, constructed by Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, was added to the church. It is Cavaillé-Coll's magnum opus, featuring 101 speaking stops, and is perhaps the most impressive instrument of the romantic French symphonic-organ era.